（一）1. private houses 私人住宅
private adj. 私人的；个人的；不公开的；隐秘的
privately adv. 私人地（没有别人在场）
privacy n. 无人在场状态，隐私、秘密
private property 私有财产
a private car 私人轿车
a private apartment 私人公寓
in private 私下地，在不公开场合
①Don't repeat what I have told you to anyone；it's private.
②He retired to his private retreat in the mountain
③Smith is very rude in private though he is polite in public.
2. first impressions第一印象
impress sb. with sth. 或 impress sth. on/upon sb.
例如：an impressive scene难忘的场面 an impressive story感人的故事
①His heroic deed created a lasting impression on people.
②He looked around the room and wished to impress everything his mind.
③I impressed him with the importance of his work／impressed him the importance of his work.
3. Confused by the new surroundings, I was hit by the lack of fresh air.
1）surroundings n. 环境
①Animals in a ZOO are not living in their natural surroundings.
②She could not help being impressed by the luxurious surroundings.
（1）surrounding adj. 周围的
①The peasants are allowed to cultivate the surrounding land.
（2）surround vt. 围绕，包围
②I will give the signal，and they shall be surrounded.
③The Los Angeles basin is surrounded on three sides by high mountains.
2）lack n. ［C&U］缺乏，短缺（与介词of连用）；
vt. & vi. 缺乏（用作vi.时，与介词for，in连用）
lack（for）sth. 缺少…… be lacking（in）sth. 缺乏……
for／by／from／through lack of 因缺乏……，因没有……
（a）lack of... ……方面的短缺 have no lack of 不缺乏……
no lack of 充足的（形容词词性） supply the lack 补缺
①They are so rich that they lack for nothing. 他们非常富裕，什么也不缺。
②He was acquitted for lack of evidence. 因证据不足，他被宣告无罪。
③He is lacking in responsibility. 他不够负责。
4. These hovering carriages float above the ground and by bending and pressing down on the driving stick strongly one can move swiftly.
①后接表示物或人的宾语。press sth. （sb.）
Press this button to start the engine. 按这个按钮开动发动机。
②后接宾语+副词。press sb. （sth. ）in（out，away，back，hard，down，together，flat，thin，etc. ）
The police tried hard to press the crowd back. 警察拼命地把人群向后推赶。
③后接宾语+介词短语。press sb. （sth. ）to（on，against，through，etc. ）
She pressed the child to her heart. 她把孩子紧抱在怀里。
Don't press me. I can't make the decision right now. 别逼我，此刻我不能作出决定。
②press sb. for sth.
They pressed him for a definite answer. 他们逼他作出明确答复。
③press sb. to do sth.
The mother pressed her son to eat more. 母亲强要她儿子多吃一些。
④be pressed for sth. 为一习语，意为“缺少某事物”。
Please hurry—we're a bit pressed for time. 请快点——我们时间不多了。
I don’t like the shoes that press. 我不喜欢挤脚的鞋。
a press of a button按电钮
a cider press苹果榨汁机
Members of the press weren't allowed into the meeting. 新闻界人士不准进入会议场所。
The press of many duties keeps her busy. 许多责任的压力使她一直忙碌。
2）swiftly adv. 迅速地；敏捷地；突然地
swift adj. （swifter，swiftest）
The river is too swift to swim. 这河水流太急，不能游泳。
as swift as thought顷刻间
a swift visit to the shop匆匆逛一下商店
（3）（行动、思维）迅速的，机警的；动辄……的，常用词组是swift to do sth. （in doing sth. ）。
He has a swift wit. 他有急智。
She was swift to condemn the violence（in condemning the violence）.
5. It took me only a few minutes to master the idea and soon I could fly as fast as Wang Ping.
Is your master（mistress）at home?
A dog's master is its owner. 狗的主人是狗的所有者。
After hard fighting，the defenders were still masters of the city.
The master（＝captain）refused to leave his sinking ship while there were others on board.
He was a master（teacher）of the piano. 他是钢琴教师。
They are loyal to their masters. 他们对老板忠心耿耿。
a master baker面包师傅
a master builder建筑师
This painting is an old master. 这幅画是古代名画家的作品。
He holds an Oxford M.A. degree. 他持有牛津大学硕士学位。
注意：另外两种学位为：the degree of Bachelor of Are （Sciences）（略B.A.;B.Sc）文（理）学士学位和the degree of Doctor of Science（Medicine，Laws，Literature）（略D.Dr.） 理学（医学、法学、文学）博士。
His master passion is motor-racing. 他最大的爱好是赛车。
He is good at mastering horses. 他善于驯马。
You have to master your temper. 你必须抑制住你的脾气。
It is not easy to master the local dialect. 掌握方言并不容易。
The captain mastered the crew to leave the sinking ship.
6. Wang Ping’s mother appeared, flashed a switch on a computer screen, and…
1）flash n. 闪光；闪烁；手电筒；v. 使闪光；闪现；突然发出
in a flash 即刻；瞬间 a flash of hope 一线希望
a flash of lightning 闪电 It flashed upon me that... 我突然想到……
①The weekend seemed to be over in a flash. 那个周末转瞬即逝。
②The idea flashed into / through his mind. 这念头在他的脑海里闪过。
③There was a flash of lightning a moment ago. 刚才有闪电的亮光。
2）switch n. 电路开关；转变，改变；v.转变；转换（位置）
①Polls showed a switch to labour. 民意测验表明形势转而对工党有利。
②Husband and wife should switch roles（with each other） occasionally.
③Could you switch the TV over? 请你改换电视频道好吗?
switch （sth. ）off 切断（电流等）
switch （sth. ）on 接通（电流）
switch （sb. ）off 使某人感到乏味
switch （sth. ）round／over 转换、交换位置
switch （sth. ／sb. ）with（sb. ，sth. ）使（……）与……交换位置
④Don't switch the radio on. 不要打开收音机。
⑤Long lectures really switch me off. 我觉得冗长的演讲很烦人。
7. They have assisted in the discovery of planets round the fourth star in the Pleiades system.
assist vt. & vi.
assist sb. with sth. ／assist sb. to do sth./ assist sb. in doing sth. 帮助某人干某事
①You will be required to assist Mr. Smith in preparing a report.
②Two men are assisting the police with their enquiries.
assist at／in sth. 在某场合出席；参加……
③I assisted at Joe's birthday party and really enjoyed myself.
④The president will assist at the ceremony.
assistant n. 助手；助理；店员
1）remind指某人或某事使主人公“联想起”另外的人或事，后面只接人作宾语，用于remind sb. of...结构中。
Students assisted the professor in doing the experiment. 学生们协助教授做实验。
help sb. with sth. ／help sb. （to）do sth. 帮助某人做某事
He helped me when I was in trouble. 我处于困境时他帮助了我。
drying agent 干燥剂 a cleaning agent 清洁剂
①Rain and sun are the agents which help plants to grow.
②I got this job in the factory through an employment.
③Our company has agencies all over the world.
①The car is running at a rate（speed）of fifty miles an hour.
②The newly designed airplane has a speed of 500 miles an hour.
③At this rate, we'll finish our work in two days.
1. He was swept up into the center of them and my link with him was broken as I was carried up to the top of a high building nearby.
①The road sweeps round the lake. 这条路环湖延伸。
②The hills sweep down to the sea. 山丘延伸到海边。
③The waves swept the deck. 波浪扫过甲板。
④The wind swept the leaves away. 风把树叶刮走了。
⑤SARS swept over the country. SARS席卷全国。
⑥She swept out of the room. 她大模大样地走出房间。
sweep up 清扫
sweep sb. down （水）把某人冲倒
sweep sth. away 清除；扫除；冲走；刮走
sweep over 扫过，席卷；扫视
2. These hovering carriages float above the ground and by bending and pressing down on the driving stick strongly one can move swiftly.
Guided by an old hunter，they went through the forest in only four days.
Greatly encouraged（＝As he was greatly encouraged）by the teacher's words. the boy started doing his experiment again.
Seen（When it is seen）from the top of the mountain，the city looks more beautiful.
Given more time（＝If I were given more time），I could do it much better.
① ______ white，the door will look more beautiful.
A. Painting B. Painted C. Being painted D. Having been painted
Painted white在此相当于一个条件状语从句If it is painted white。
②____in the strange city，the poor boy fell to_____.
A. Lost；cry B. To lose; cry C. Lost；crying D. Having lost；crying
即Lost in the strange city（＝As he was lost in the strange city），the poor boy fell to crying. to是介词，后应用crying，故排除A项；to lose位于句首是作目的状语，与句意不符，故排除；having lost是分词的主动式，与句意不符，故排除。
③______alone in a dark room，the little girl was so frightened as to cry loudly.
A. Leaving B. Left C. Being left D. To be left
解析：选B。空格处作原因状语，leave表示“留下，剩下”，与主语girl是被动关系，所以我们要把选择范围缩小到B、C和D三项。然后我们再从时间方面区分这三项，left是过去分词，表示“被动”和“完成”，但有时过去分词只可表示“被动”，而忽视它的时间概念；有时只表示“完成”。此处我们只强调它的被动意思；being left是现在分词的被动形式，因为“留下，剩下”表示状态，所以没有必要再用现在分词表示“进行”;to be left是不定式的被动形式，表示“被动”的同时也表示“将来”。句意为：这个小女孩被独自留在这个黑暗的房间里，她吓得都哭出来了。
④____from endless homework on weekends，the students now find their own activities, such as taking a ride together to watch the sunrise.
A. Freed B. Freeing C. To free D. Having freed
1. You shouldn't read others’ _______letters without permission.
A. private B. public C. particular D. especial
2. The young man acted strangely during the interview. He made a bad ____on the employer.
A. impression B. expression C. experience D. opinion
3. We could see the buildings ____by trees.
A. being surrounded B. surrounded
C. to be surrounded D. surround
4. It's very kind of you，but we have no______ of teachers here.
A. reason B. lack C. signs D. result
5. The wildlife research work had to stop，because they were _____for money.
A. pressed B. eager C. longing D. worried
6. You will soon _____French when you live in Paris.
A. maintain B. master C. mention D. magnify
7. The bridge _____by the flood and fertile soil ______into the river.
A. was swept away；was swept down
B. swept away；swept down
C. was swept down；was swept away
D. was swept into；was swept up
8. _____the lady remembered everything.
A. All of sudden B. On a suddenly
C. In a flash D. For flash
9. Can you imagine a plane flying ____ 8，000 miles an hour?
A. with a speed B. in a speed of
C. at a speed of D. by a speed
10. ____the rate you work，you'll never finish.
A. In B. At C. With D. For
II. 弗兰克英语 专题训练：阅读理解步步高10篇 高级 （1）
1. Recently the World Health Organization announced that the disease of smallpox （天花）had almost been wiped out in most parts of the world，thanks to widespread vaccination （种牛痘）.Most people are vaccinated at least once in their lives and if they wish to travel from one country to another they must be able to prove that they have had a recent vaccination. In this way the disease has been prevented from spreading and today one seldom hears of it at all.
2. For example , when farmers killed large numbers of hawks（鹰）, the farmers stores of corn and grain were destroyed by rats and mice . Why ? Because hawks eat rats and mice . With no hawks to keep down their numbers , the rats and mice multiplied（繁殖）quickly .
3. This is mainly because of the great discovery made by a village doctor，Edward Jenner，in about 1798 when he published his report of his new experiment called vaccination ( from the word “vacca” meaning a cow ). Jenner discovered that people who worked with cattle often suffered from a harmless disease which they caught from the cattle，but these people never seemed to get smallpox. So he experimented by putting the disease into a small opening on the arms of healthy people，and though their arms became painful for a day or two，they soon recovered and none of these people ever got smallpox.
4. So the news of the wonderful discovery spread to other countries and people rushed to their doctors to be vaccinated. In many countries the simple way to deal with the arm was done on thousands of people , and the terrible smallpox began to disappear.
1. Which of the following is an ineffectual way of preventing the spread of smallpox ?
A. Most people were vaccinated against the disease at least once.
B. People going abroad should promise not to spread the disease.
C. People traveling from one country to another must prove they are vaccinated.
D. People must be vaccinated shortly before going to foreign countries.
2. The doctor's new discovery was called “vaccination” for the reason that ___________ .
A. he discovered smallpox near a farm
B. he experimented with a disease from the cattle
C. he was working with cattle in the countryside
D. people got the disease of smallpox from the cattle
3. The news of the discovery ___________ .
A. caught people's attention from all corners of the world
B. spread far and near in the western countries
C. made people rush to Dr. Jennet for vaccination
D. helped to get rid of the terrible disease of smallpox
Recently the World Health Organization _______________ that the disease of smallpox had almost been ______________ out in most parts of the world，thanks to widespread vaccination .Most people are ______________ at least once in their lives and if they wish to travel from one country to ______________they must be able to prove that they have had a recent vaccination. In this way the disease has been ______________ from spreading and today one seldom hears of it at all.
This is mainly because of the great ______________ made by a village doctor，Edward Jenner，in about 1798 when he ______________ his report of his new experiment called vaccination ( from the word “vacca” meaning a cow ). Jenner discovered that people who worked with cattle often ______________ from a harmless disease which they caught from the______________，but these people never seemed to get smallpox. So he ______________ by putting the disease into a small opening on the ______________ of healthy people，and though their arms became ______________ for a day or two，they soon recovered and none of these people ever got smallpox.
So the news of the wonderful discovery______________ to other countries and people ______________ to their doctor’s to be vaccinated.
In many countries the simple way to ______________ ______________ the arm was done on thousands of people , and the terrible smallpox began to ______________.
步骤 4： 根据文章意思将下列句中所缺的单词补上。
Recently the World Health Organization _______________ that the _____________ of smallpox had almost been ______________ out in most parts of the world，________________ _______widespread vaccination .Most people are ______________ at least once in their lives and if they wish to travel from one country to ______________they must be able to _____________ that they have had a recent vaccination._____ _____ __________the disease has been ______________ from spreading and today one seldom hears of it at all.
This is mainly because of the great ______________ made by a village doctor，Edward Jenner，in about 1798 when he ______________ his report of his new experiment _____________ vaccination ( from the word “vacca” meaning a cow ).Jenner discovered that people _____________worked with cattle often ______________ from a harmless disease _____________ they caught from the______________，but these people never seemed to get smallpox. So he ______________ by putting the disease into a small opening on the ______________ of healthy people，and _____________ their arms became ______________ for a day or two，they soon recovered and none of these people ever got smallpox.
So the news of the wonderful discovery______________ to other countries and people ______________ to their doctor’s to be vaccinated.
In many countries the simple way to ______________ ______________ the arm was done ____ thousands of people , and the terrible smallpox began to ______________.
if they wish to travel from one country to another , they must be able to prove that
In this way the disease has been prevented from spreading and
Most people are vaccinated at least once in their lives and
Recently the World Health Organization announced
that the disease of smallpox had almost been wiped out in most parts of the world，thanks to widespread vaccination .
they have had a recent vaccination.
today one seldom hears of it at all.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________but these people never seemed to get smallpox.
Edward Jenner，in about 1798 when he published his report of his new
experiment called vaccination ( from the word “vacca” meaning a cow ).
harmless disease which they caught from the cattle，
Jenner discovered that people who worked with cattle often suffered from a
small opening on the arms of healthy people，and though their arms became painful for a day or two，
So he experimented by putting the disease into a
they soon recovered and none of these people ever got smallpox.
This is mainly because of the great discovery made by a village doctor，
and the terrible smallpox began to disappear.
In many countries the simple
people rushed to their doctors to be vaccinated.
So the news of the wonderful discovery spread to other countries and
way to deal with the arm was done on thousands of people ,
I. 1. 选 A。句意为“未经允许你不该看别人的私人信件”。public意为“公开的”；particular意为“特定的”：especial意为“尤其”；private此处意为“个人的，私人的”符合语境。
2. 选 A。have／make a good／bad impression on sb. 意为“给某人留下好／坏的印象”。
3. 选 B。句意为“我们看到建筑物被树木包围着”。由此可知，要用被动形式，又因不强调正在进行，因而A项也应排除。
4. 选 B。have no lack of “不缺乏……”，为固定搭配。
5. 选 A。be pressed for缺少；be eager for渴望；long for渴望；be worried后面要接about意为“担心”。
6. 选 B。句意为“你住在巴黎很快就会学好法语的”。master“掌握”；maintain维持；mention提到；magnify 放大，扩大。
8. 选C。in a flash是固定词组，含义是“即刻” “一瞬间”。all of sudden应为all of a sudden。
9. 选C。at a speed of...为固定搭配，“以……的速度”。
10. 选B。at the rate “以这种速度”，为固定搭配。
（2）第2题属细节辨认题，第二段第1句 …vaccination ( from the word “vacca” meaning a cow)即本题答案出处，故选B正确。